Most of us can’t find time to read regularly, even though we are all aware of the several benefits that reading provides. The purpose of this article is to remind our readers why reading is so important and how it can improve the quality of our lives!
Reading is an investment in yourself, and saying that we don’t have time to invest in ourselves isn’t right! Below are some reasons to read regularly!
1. To Acquire knowledge. When you read you’ll be taken into new worlds, learn new things and become familiar with new concepts. Even if you’re reading something that you think is of no use, you never know when this knowledge could suddenly become useful! Reading makes you a better communicator, more resourceful and offers you a wider perspective of the world.
2. To expand your vocabulary. Reading is the best way to learn new words and understand the way they are used in sentences, significantly expanding your vocabulary.
3. To improve your writing skills. Whether you write for work or for pleasure your writing will see measurable improvements when you start reading more.
4. To enter a state of flow. The state of flow occurs when you are completely immersed in an activity. Time seems to stand still and you become one with this activity. Being in the flow state regularly greatly improves happiness. Reading regularly will allow you to enter that flow state more often.
5. To reduce stress. Studies have shown that just six minutes of reading per day can reduce stress significantly! Researchers found that reading has benefits that music or even a walk cannot match. This is because there is physical stress when you’re walking and mental effort to pay attention to your surroundings when you are listening to music. To lose yourself in a book is to relax completely.
6. To gain experience. They say that to live multiple lives you should read multiple books! Our brains cannot make real distinctions between reading about an experience and the experience itself. Regardless of what you’re reading or experiencing the same areas of your brain are stimulated by that process. Some books are so detailed and immersive that when you read them you get a real taste of what life was like in that time period and place.
If you want to live a hundred lives then read a hundred books! Let us know how reading has helped you and what techniques or books you would recommend to others!